Sarri reveals player he'll avoid resting till end of season

Sarri reveals player he'll avoid resting till end of season

Chelsea manager, Maurizio Sarri has said he will avoid resting a tiring Jorginho because he believes the club is not ready for the tactical change the midfielder's absence would force on the team.

Italy international, Jorginho has started all but one of the club's Premier League fixtures to date and has featured 25 times in all competitions.

Cesc Fabregas' departure for Monaco has left Chelsea with no natural alternative at the base of midfield and Sarri admitted a heavy workload is beginning to affect his deep-lying playmaker.

The Blues are chasing Leandro Paredes to provide Jorginho with relief but, for now, the 27-year-old will be asked to continue, with Sarri opposing a switch that might accommodate two holding midfielders.

Goal. com quoted him as saying to reporters in England,

"We are not ready to change at the moment.

"Jorginho has played with me for four seasons. It's very difficult for him to improve more. He played very well for 20 matches (this season), I think.

"Now, maybe, in the last two matches he was a little bit tired. He moved the ball a little bit slowly than before. But I think that it's normal.

"You cannot stay at the top for 60 matches, so it's normal to have a different period, a period when you are not so lucid as usual. But it's not a big problem. Of course, it's the reason I said we needed a replacement for Cesc."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...