Sarri, Pochettino make incredible statement about England referees after Spurs win over Chelsea

Sarri, Pochettino make incredible statement about England referees after Spurs win over Chelsea

Premier League managers Maurizio Sarri and Mauricio Pochettino have expressed their displeasure towards the Video Assistant Referee after Tottenham edged Chelsea 1-0 in the EFL Cup semi-final first-leg clash.

England international Harry Kane scored the only goal that separated the two London clubs from the spot kick after the striker was fouled by Blues goalkeeper Cesar Azpilicueta.

The coaches lamented the VAR failed to spot the offside move of the 25-year-old which led to the goal eventually.

According to Telegraph, Sarri and his players angrily confronted referee Michael Oliver and his officials in the tunnel at half-time.

Meanwhile, Pochettino was also said to have expressed his disappointment with technology which appeared to have distorted the flow of the game.

Sarri said: " In Italy there is VAR. In the first season, it was a disaster. The referees did not know how to use the system.

"I think at the moment the referees [in England] are not ready to use the system in the right way. For example, from the pictures on our camera, Kane was offside, clearly offside.

"And what is important is the linesman stopped running with play. He didn't follow the ball. So for the players on the pitch they clearly thought it was offside.

"So they need to find a better system. It is strange in the Premier League there is no VAR and in the cups there is. I saw only our video from our camera.

"Maybe the VAR camera was in a different position. From our position, he [Kane] was clearly offside. It depends where the camera is. If the camera is not in line it is difficult to judge whether he is offside or not."

Spurs boss, Pochettino, in spite of his side's victory after the game said: "To be honest, I am not happy with that system. A good example is La Liga. No one is happy, everyone is complaining from day one.

"I hope we have time to develop the system. It needs to be a tool to improve the game. Football must be fair.

Today it was a good decision for Tottenham, but we were waiting five minutes .

"Of course, people will say this guy is crazy but I'm telling you when I get the benefit. When it does not benefit us it is easy to complain, but I think today I need to be clear and honest and I am not happy.

"To get the benefit is nice, but I am unhappy to win the game like this. I prefer the technology but in a different way; being clear .

"I am pro technology because you cannot stop evolution but we are waiting so long, it is not clear what are the rules. We have six months to improve the system and there is a lot of work to do. "

However, Chelsea manager Sarri showered encomiums on his players despite the slim defeat as they gear up for the second leg later this month.

The Italian born tactician said that: "In my opinion, it was one of the most important performances of the season. "

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...