Chelsea star breaks down in tears during emotional farewell to fans at Stamford Bridge

Chelsea star breaks down in tears during emotional farewell to fans at Stamford Bridge

Chelsea star Cesc Fabregas on Saturday, January 5, played what was potentially his last match in a Blues' jersey against Championship side, Nottingham Forest.

An emotional Fàbregas broke down in tears after being substituted off the pitch as he handed the captain's armband to David Luiz amid applause from fans at the Stamford Bridge.

He received a standing ovation from the thousands of fans gathered at the stadium as he made a tearful farewell during the third round of the FA Cup.

Fortunately for the Spaniard, Maurizio Sarri's men marched to a 2-0 victory, thanks to Alvaro Morata's second-half brace.

The 31-year-old has since been linked with a January move to French side, Monaco, with reports in the UK suggesting that a deal could be completed next week.

On his part, Chelsea boss, Maurizio Sarri, has made it clear he wants the former Arsenal captain to stay at Stamford Bridge, contending there could be a problem if the midfielder leaves.

"In this position we have only two players, Jorginho and Fàbregas, so for me it would be really a problem without Cesc," the Italian tactician told Sky Sports.

"I want him to stay, I don't know the final decision of Cesc and the club, of course. But for me it's very important and if Cesc will go I think that we need to buy another player, and it's not easy because, technically, Cesc is a very important player," he added.

Fabragas made his Premier League debut with Arsenal, spending eight years with the Gunners, winning the league as a part of the Invincibles who went unbeaten in the 2003/04 season.

He eventually moved to Barcelona in 2011, before making a return to the Premier League, this time with Arsenal rivals, Chelsea.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...