Chelsea manager Sarri targets highly rated Italian League striker as Alvaro Morata's replacement

Chelsea manager Sarri targets highly rated Italian League striker as Alvaro Morata's replacement

Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri is reportedly planning to sign Napoli star Dries Mertens during January transfer window.

The 31-year-old played for the Italian tactician while in charge of the Stadio Olimpico outfit for three seasons.

Sarri succeeded Antonio Conte at Stamford Bridge this summer and immediately signed Jorginho from the club.

Talk Sport however reports that the Italian born tactician is hoping to land the Belgian international to better his scoring options.

Mertens has scored ten goals and also created four assists in all competitions for the Blues and his experience will surely help Chelsea improve their attack.

Meanwhile, with Alvaro Morata and Olivier Giroud currently underperformingat the Bridge, a reunion could be on the cards.

According to CalcioMercato.com, Sarri wants to bring the Belgium international to Stamford Bridge having already convinced Jorginho to swap Naples for west London.

Speaking to The Times, the 31-year-old heaped praise on his former boss ahead of Napoli's Champions League defeat to Liverpool.

He said: "Sarri does not have an off button. I think he sleeps one hour a night and he is always thinking about football.

"Maybe because he had less time because he arrived late in the game and he is playing catch-up? I learnt a lot from him. "

Mertens added:  "The thing I loved most about him is that you feel you are playing with 12 not 11. He puts the line very high so the strikers feel the midfielders are close.

"I'm sure now Sarri is learning things about London. He knows so many facts, he's crazy but interesting."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...