David de Gea: Manchester United goalkeeper set to sign new £400,000-a-week contract

David de Gea is set to hand Manchester United a major boost.

According to The Sun, the Spain goalkeeper is on the verge of penning a new long-term contract after months of talks between his camp and the club.

David de Gea: Manchester United goalkeeper set to sign new £400,000-a-week contract

David de Gea has been named Manchester United's 'Player of the Season' four times in the last five years

United recently took up an option to extend his current deal by another year, to 2020.

But they have been desperate to tie their star man down for longer and it now seems as though they are close to a breakthrough.

De Gea, 28, is claimed to have told close pals he is on the verge of signing a new contract which will tie him to the club well into his 30s.

The new deal is understood to be worth around £400,000-a-week, including bonuses.

It will come as a huge relief to Jose Mourinho and Unoied's supporters, with Paris Saint-Germain among a host of clubs monitoring De Gea's situation.

The Spain No.1 has been an outstanding success since moving to Old Trafford from Atletico Madrid in 2011.

He has kept 95 clean sheets in 253 Premier League appearances and has won United's player of the year award in four of the last five seasons.

Mourinho recently praised the shot-stopper and expressed his confidence he would commit his long-term future to the club.

The United manager said: "He is a world-class player.

"He is the best goalkeeper in the world and, if our ambitions are to be a big club, to be a winning club, you need the best goalkeeper in the world - and you need also some other players the best in the world.

"In this case, we have the best goalkeeper in the world and I know that he wants to stay.

"I know that his agent is happy to do what the player wants and I also know that the board wants him to stay and they're working on that, so hopefully sooner or later they arrive into good conclusions."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...