Jamie Carragher names two best defenders in Premier League

Jamie Carragher names two best defenders in Premier League

Liverpool legend, Jamie Carragher has named the Reds defender, Virgil van Dijk and Manchester City's Aymeric Laporte as the best two centre-backs in the English Premier League, EPL.

Van Dijk and Laporte have been outstanding so far for their clubs this campaign.

Van Dijk joined Liverpool from Southampton last January, while Laporte joined City from Athletic Bilbao.

"I think Van Dijk is brilliant. I think he's the best centre-back in the Premier League and I also think Aymeric Laporte at Man City has been brilliant since he came in," Carragher told TalkSport

"Forget his actual position; when you think of maybe the best top ten players you think of Kevin De Bruyne, David Silva, Sergio Aguero, Harry Kane, Mohamed Salah, David De Gea and Eden Hazard as well.

"I think Van Dijk is actually in that group of players. He's so good in his position that I think, at this moment in time, he's up there with the best names in the world.

"In that position, I always believe if you get rated that highly, you've got to back it up with trophies. He got to a Champions League final but you think of the centre-backs who've played for Barcelona and Real Madrid over the years. There's Champions League wins, there's also some World Cup winners there.

"I think you need a few medals to be able to say that, but at the moment, is there a centre-back in the world playing better than Virgil van Dijk is doing now? If there is one, I haven't seen him."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...