Pep Guardiola keen on landing Lyon star who destroyed his Man City defence

Pep Guardiola keen on landing Lyon star who destroyed his Man City defence

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola is plotting a summer bid for Lyon forward Maxwell Cornet.

According to a UK Sun report citing Calico Mercat, the 22-year-old Cornet, who was on Fulham's radar in the early part of the year, will now feature prominently in the Citizens shopping list, after his brace in Tuesday's Champions League.

However, Lyon were left in bitter mood after City claimed a late goal equalizer, to end the tie in a 2-2 draw.

At the end of the hostilities, Cornet emerged man-of-the-match for his top-of-the-table performance, during the game.

Reacting after the encounter, the Ivorian star claim he was disappointed with the final result, as a win could have handed Lyon a spot in last 16 rounds.

"We had a very good game tonight, collectively speaking.

"We showed a beautiful side of ourselves. We were solid defensively and creating plenty of chances.

"It's a shame we couldn't win. We could have opened the score in the first half.

"We know that at this level you aren't forgiven for small mistakes - City are a very big team.

"We will now go for the qualification in Ukraine," t he Ivorian remarked.

Interestingly, Cornet with his performance has equaled Lionel Messi's previous record in the 2016-17 campaign as the first player to score three times against City in the Uefa Champions League.

"For a striker, it's good to get as many chances in a match as I got tonight. It was important to stay in the game after missing my first chances.

"I stayed focused and was successful after that. The first goal? I saw the keeper off his line.

"I took my chance and it paid off. I'm happy with this goal. The second one? I tried to shoot between the keeper's legs," he added.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...