Casillas regrets not confronting Jose Mourinho

Casillas regrets not confronting Jose Mourinho

Casillas was very much the golden boy at Los Blancos upon Mourinho's arrival at the Santiago Bernabeu.

His popularity transcended the Spanish capital and was regarded as a national hero following his exploits at the 2010 World Cup.

Casillas' match-winning saves played a crucial role in Spain capturing their first World Cup trophy.

However, during Mourinho's tenure, Casillas soon went from hero to zero.

Mourinho was under pressure to succeed as he was up against the brilliant Barcelona team under Pep Guardiola.

The Galacticos hate playing second fiddle to the Catalans and a popular belief is that Mourinho called upon his famed siege mentality to turn the tables.

As a result, Mourinho didn't approve of Casillas' close relationship with some of his Spanish teammates who played for Barcelona.

Remember Casillas was dropped during the 2012/2013 season and tensions were high behind the scenes.

Rumours surfaced of Casillas leaking stories to the press regarding a fallout between Mourinho and some of the senior players.

In an interview with Universo Valdano channel Vamos, Casillas said, "He was brought in to compete with Barcelona and brought moments of great tension and that Madridismo that I mentioned that I don't like came out, there was a limit that he went to with me that I didn't want to go to."

He went on to add, "It wasn't good for him, nor for me nor for the club. I think if it happened all over again, I would have taken the bull by the horns and faced Mourinho."

Casillas said he felt it better to stay silent at the time as a show of respect for the Madrid values.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...