Dani Alves finally reveals why he snubbed Guardiola, Manchester City

Dani Alves finally reveals why he snubbed Guardiola, Manchester City

Dani Alves has revealed that a family decision changed his mind, when he joined Paris Saint-Germain instead of Manchester City, in the summer of 2017.

Last July, Alves looked set to complete a move to the Etihad Stadium and become Pep Guardiola's first signing in the full-back area - with Kyle Walker, Danilo and Benjamin Mendy yet to join.

However, the Brazilian opted for a two-year deal in the French capital instead of Manchester.

"It was all done to go to Manchester City but it didn't happen because of a family decision," Alves told Sky Sports.

"Pep knew my intentions. I spoke with him, he knew my intention to work with him and his staff again. He knows the gigantic respect I have for them, which is why I wanted to work with him again until something else came up.

"In life you have to weigh everything up, even when they are just decisions about your career. I like my decisions to be taken carefully, so they don't harm anyone close to me, so that the people close to me are happy.

"I know that if the people close to me are happy, I am happy, and I can do my job better. For me, it was a shame not to work with Guardiola again because he knows I adore him, but at the same time it was a new challenge which is what changed my mind."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...