Jurgen Klopp defends Virgil van Dijk after criticism for Red Star Belgrade performance

Jurgen Klopp defends Virgil van Dijk after criticism for Red Star Belgrade performance

Jurgen Klopp insists he's 'really happy' with Virgil van Dijk despite the defender facing criticism for his recent performances.

Van Dijk has transformed Liverpool's defence since his world-record move from Southampton and has been showered with praise for turning the Merseyside club into genuine Premier League title contenders.

However, Van Dijk came under scrutiny following Liverpool's shock defeat to Red Star Belgrade in the Champions League, with the Dutchman struggling in Joe Gomez's absence.

The central defender was also criticised for his lacklustre defending at the Emirates last weekend as Alexandre Lacazette found a late equaliser for Arsenal.

Asked about Van Dijk's form ahead of Liverpool's clash with Fulham, Klopp replied: 'I am really happy with him.

'Virg knows that with his skills and quality he has a big responsibility, you have to be spot on every day. That is what everyone expects.

'He has qualities like Joe [Gomez] has, like Dejan [Lovren] has, like Joel [Matip] has, so that is really good for us.

Asked whether Van Dijk is the best defender in the Premier League, Klopp responded: 'I'm not a guy who likes these comparisons. I'm really, really happy with Virgil.'

Michael Owen heavily criticised Virgil van Dijk (Picture: Getty)

Michael Owen blamed Van Dijk for Liverpool going behind to Red Star on Tuesday evening.

'Van Dijk's made a couple of mistakes,' Owen said.

'It's frustrating because for a large part, the first part, really Liverpool were in control and then there was a few mistakes here for the goal.

'It's a zonal system in many ways but then you've got a couple of blockers around the penalty spot and then [Milan] Pavkov gets in-between [Daniel] Sturridge and Van Dijk really.

'I think if anyone is to blame it's Van Dijk. It goes over Sturridge's head and he's got to be able to see that and challenge for it.

Jurgen Klopp's side host Fulham at Anfield (Picture: Getty)

Klopp confirmed that Jordan Henderson, Naby Keita and Gomez were all available for this weekend's clash with strugglers Fulham.

On Henderson, Klopp said: 'When Jordan isn't available, we always miss him.

'I'd love to say Hendo would have changed the whole game against Red Star but the whole game was strange. Arsenal before that was an absolutely okay game.

'It's Pretty much the first time all the midfield players apart from [Alex] Ox[lade] Chamberlain are available. That's another thing to do, make a decision. It's then all about fitness levels, form and shape.'

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...