Maurizio Sarri backs Cesc Fabregas to rival Jorginho for Chelsea midfield role

Maurizio Sarri has backed Cesc Fabregas to play a big role for Chelsea this season despite failing to play a single minute of Premier League football in the campaign so far.

The Spaniard was injured at the start of the season and has so far only played against PAOK in the Europa League and Liverpool in the Carabao Cup last week, with Jorginho starring - and starring - for the team in the league in his absence.

Fabregas is expected to be handed another start against Hungarian side Videotron on Thursday night, and Sarri feels he is capable of rivalling Jorginho.

Asked if Fabregas can be a good option for Chelsea this season, Sarri replied: 'Yes I think so.

'I think he played very well in the last 30 minutes in Greece, and very well for 90 minutes in Liverpool.

'He has to improve the physical condition, but I think that he is a great option in this position.'

Pressed on whether he had tried to change Fabregas' style to suit his Sarri-ball tactics, the Italian replied: 'Not too much.

'Because Cesc is very good in moving the ball, like Jorginho - more than Jorginho. So we don't need to change the way of football with Fabregas.'

As well as Fabregas coming into the midfield, Sarri is expected to make a number of changes to his side as he juggles a crowded fixture list, with Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Ross Barkley also in line to start.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...