Jose Mourinho slams superstar after missing penalty in Manchester United's EFL Cup defeat

Jose Mourinho slams superstar after missing penalty in Manchester United's EFL Cup defeat

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has slammed England defender Phil Jones after losing 8-7 to Derby County on penalties in their EFL Cup third round encounter at Old Trafford.
Goals from Harry Wilson and James Marriott in the 59th and 85th minutes cancelled out Juan Mata and Marouane Fellaini's goals as both sides ended 2-2 after normal regulation time.

The Portuguese tactician however expressed fear when the penalties hit sudden death with his two centre-backs coming up.

He said at the post match conference that: " The penalties come and after the sixth I knew we were going to be in trouble with Bailly and Jones .
"The shootout is a lottery. We missed one and we knew if we go past seven we would be in trouble. "

Meanwhile, Mourinho's former player who's the present manager of the lower league side was delighted with with the win.

He said that:
 " I'm shell shocked. What a performance. To go down early at Old Trafford and play as well as they did was superb. We had the personality to take penalties and play the way we did. I am a proud manager.
"It was the easiest selection I have had, the players weer superb against Brentford and they deserved the chance to play at Old Trafford .
"I wanted to bring a team who could really compete. I am so proud of them. To go up against Jose Mourinho and those players is immense.
"Harry Wilson does do that in training, he proved me wrong as I thought it was too far out. Both he and Mason Mount are going to go a long way. "

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...