Lionel Messi's Argentina future thrown into doubt

Lionel Messi's Argentina future thrown into doubt

Barcelona captain Lionel Messi will not play any role for Argentina in next month's international window as he continues his exile from the Albiceleste squad.
According to a UK Sun report, Argentina's new boss Lionel Scaloni, disclosed at Monday's FIFA's Best Awards in London, that Messi will not be invited to play against Iraq in Riyadh before tackling Brazil in Jeddah in October.

"Messi won't be called up.
"I have spoken with him and it's best that he doesn't come back for now,"
Scaloni was quoted as saying.

The 31-year-old Messi, who last featured for the Albiceleste in the Round of 16 defeat to France at the Mundial, also snubbed Argentina's games against Guatemala and Colombia this month.
The Barcelona star could likely return to action for the South American nation possibly during November's international friendlies.

Previously, the five-time world's best player opted out of the Albiceleste squad in 2016, after failing to win the Copa America final match against Chile.

Messi, however, returned to action for the Albiceleste a few months later but quit again moments after Argentina bowed out of the summer World Cup in Russia, stressing that he might be going on retirement from international football.

"I tried my hardest. It has been four finals, I want more than anyone to win a title with the national team, but unfortunately, it did not happen.
"I think this is best for everyone, firstly for me and for a lot of people that wish this. The team has ended for me, a decision made,"
Messi was quoted as saying at the Mundial.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...