Maurizio Sarri reveals why Chelsea might not win the Premier League

Maurizio Sarri reveals why Chelsea might not win the Premier League

New Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri has called for assistance on fixture scheduling to boost English clubs' chances in Europe.

The Italian manager whose side are unbeaten in the Premier League, rested Eden Hazard and David Luiz for Thursday night's opening Europa League win at PAOK in Greece.

The 59-year-old now agrees with Manchester United manager and predecessor Antonio Conte on domestic fixtures which surround European games.

The Blues will take on West Ham at Wembley, then a Carabao fixture with Liverpool in midweek then a Premier League engagement at Stamford Bridge with Jurgen Klopp's side.

Chelsea's preparation for Sunday's match against Manuel Pellegrini's side were not helped by the fact that their flight from Greece was delayed.

The Stamford Bridge outfit were delayed in Greece because bad weather conditions as they were to return on Friday morning.

"In Italy if you are playing in the Champions League you can ask to play the match before on a Friday or Saturday,' the former Napoli boss said.
"If you play in the Europa League away, not at home, you can ask to play on the Monday night. I think this is right.
"If you want to be competitive in Europe, I think this is right.
"In England we cannot ask this so we have to play after 64 hours. It's not so easy."

Sarri has admitted the responsibility is on Chelsea and other Premier League clubs to clamour for the change.

"For an English team, it is very difficult to play in the Europa League with the Premier League rules," the 59-year-old added.
"In this moment, maybe it is not a great problem because we have played only six matches.
"Maybe in two, three or four months it will be a problem.
"First of all, I hope to be in the Europa League in three or four months. Maybe I have to rest many players on Thursdays.
"At the moment, I hope to qualify before the last match of this group, but maybe in the future the players need to rest five, six, seven at a time."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...