'Neymar was a DISGRACE against Liverpool' - Joey Barton continues crusade against 'overrated' Brazil star

Joey Barton has continued his campaign against Brazilian star Neymar, tearing into his 'disgraceful' performance during Paris Saint-Germain's Champions League defeat to Liverpool.

The world's most expensive player has been universally slammed for his display at Anfield, where Jurgen Klopp's men claimed a stunning late 3-2 win to continue their flying start to the season.

Neymar was a passenger throughout and even had his manager, Thomas Tuchel, fuming on the sidelines over his lack of effort.

It was not the performance anyone would expect from a player who cost €200million.

Barton - never shy to speak his mind -  has spoken out against Neymar in the past, but was widely ridiculed when he branded the Brazil ace 'overrated' during his glittering spell at Barcelona.

But now, it appears football fans have changed their mind...

And Barton has now claimed Neymar actually makes PSG a worse team, saying Neymar only plays for himself.

"I haven't rated him for a while," the Fleetwood Town manager said on Thursday's Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast.

"He's a phenomenal player, but he just plays for himself.

"I think he's adversely affected that PSG team, I think they were better before they signed him.

'Neymar was a DISGRACE against Liverpool' - Joey Barton continues crusade against 'overrated' Brazil star

Neymar has been universally panned for his performance against Liverpool

"I know he's a wonderful player and he brings a lot of revenue for the club, it's probably why they've got the Air Jordan arm of Nike as a kit sponsor because of his flamboyance.

"But he was a disgrace, actually, for the way he played against Liverpool.

"I didn't half feel sorry for the full-back. He got no cover at all from Neymar, who was just doing his own thing.

"Mbappe wasn't good either, but at least he had a run around, at least he had half a go.

"PSG want to be a top side and they are a very good team, but you can't have your front three not defending.

"Contract them to Liverpool's front three - all equally good players and all working incredibly hard for the team.

Liverpool's Firmino, Salah, and Mane are one of the best attacking trios in European football

"If you're going to be successful at any level, whether that's Fleetwood Town in League One, the Premier League or the Champions League, you need to be a team.

"I didn't see that from PSG, I was really disappointed with them, and Liverpool deservedly won the game."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...