Premier League top star reveals how he almost quit playing football after a disappointing start to his career

Premier League top star reveals how he almost quit playing football after a disappointing start to his career

Everton summer signing Richarlison has revealed how he almost quit football when he was younger before hitting his breakthrough.

The 21-year-old has been nothing but phenomenon for his Premier League side since he joined them from Watford in a €45 million deal.

He has scored three superb goals in three English topflight appearances for the Toffees this season - keeping them seventh on the log.

However, he recently revealed in an interview that his football dream was nearly derailed after spells of failure.
Born in Espiritu Santo in the South Pacific nation of Vantatu, Richarlison grew up around football although that did not guarantee him instant success or recognition.

According to the Brasilian, he was rejected so many times by some promising clubs, he almost called it quits on his football dream.

To top it off, not only was he constantly rejected, but being short of resources also did not help his cause as most financial sacrifices he had to make to get to potential clubs ended up being a lost cause.

"I was ready to give up football, but I lifted my head and I went to Belo Horizonte with just the money for an outward ticket for the last trial I had, with America MG. If I didn't make it, I had no money to get home to Espiritu Santo, 600 kilometres away, " he told AS.

As luck would have it, the very last trial he did as he was planning to thrown in the towel actually had some promise and he passed.

Aside from the disheartening trials, Richarlison also details some of the hardships he used to go through growing up in the harsh streets.

"I used to sell candy and ice creams in the street and I worked in the fields to help my parents. I couldn't have done it otherwise, because everyone did what they could so I could fulfil my dream of being a footballer,"he went on.
Years down the line and Richarlison's decision to switch Rio de Janiero for England to play for Watford in 2017 looks like the best decision he has ever made.

At 21, he is already looking a bargain for his current club Everton who acquired him for £40 million in the summer.
The Brazilian star has been impressive for Watford this season in less than four months that he joined the Premier League club.

Richarlison is said to have caught the attention of Chelsea coach Antonio Conte during his side's defeat at Stamford Bridge in October 2017.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...