Marcus Rashford told to consider Manchester United exit as Jose Mourinho 'does not trust him'

Marcus Rashford told to consider Manchester United exit as Jose Mourinho 'does not trust him'

Marcus Rashford should be thinking about leaving Manchester United because his manager Jose Mourinho does not trust him.

That is the opinion of Liverpool legend Phil Thompson, who says Rashford must be playing regularly to fulfill his potential and may be forced to leave his boyhood club.

Rashford burst onto the scene at Old Trafford in 2016, scoring back-to-back braces in his first two appearances for the Red Devils.

The England international has impressed sporadically since but has endured a frustrating start to the new season, failing to score and being sent off.

Thompson says Rashford is 'talented' but doubts whether he will be able to develop at Manchester United because Mourinho 'does not trust him'.

'He's a very talented boy... But is he going to fit in at Manchester United? I don't think so,' Thompson told Sky Sports.

'I don't think there's a trust from the manager to the player that he can do it on a regular basis.

'I think that's why he's only coming into the team now and again because I don't think he trusts him.

'He is only 20 and probably needs more time. I think this season is big for him. Come the end of this season he needs to make a decision.

'He's got to start laying regularly. He needs to analyse his game-time. I don't think there's total trust between the player and the manager.

'Next summer big questions need to be asked.'

Thompson's comments come after another Liverpool legend, Jamie Carragher, advised Rashford to leave the Theatre of Dreams.

'The problem he's got, and it's the same for every young striker at big clubs, nothing's harder than that position,' Carragher said on Sky Sports.

'And you look at Lukaku, I don't see him ever displacing Lukaku while he's there. But remember Lukaku at Chelsea, he had to come away to Everton.

'Then ended up as the top scorer one season at Everton in the Premier League, then gets his move to Manchester United.

'And possibly Everton is the sort of club, just below the top six, similar to what Lukaku did, when you know you're going to play every week. You're going to be that centre-forward.

'You know if you have a couple of games where you don't score you're still going to play the next week. I think that's the problem he has at Man United.

'I think last season, Brighton away, Mourinho had a pop at him and Lukaku went straight back into the team. That's the problem you're always going to have.'

Asked if Rashford needs to leave Manchester United, Carragher replied: 'I think so, yes.

'In order to play centre-forward for Manchester United you've got to be world class. Rashford's not world class yet. He might be at 23 or 24.

'So Rashford might have to move away to come back to a top team.'

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...