Paris Saint-Germain star Alphonse Areola wanted Chelsea transfer, says Blues coach

Paris Saint-Germain star Alphonse Areola wanted Chelsea transfer, says Blues coach

Alphonse Areola was desperate to join Chelsea this summer, according to Blues goalkeeping coach Christophe Lollichon.

The Paris Saint-Germain goalkeeper was reportedly the subject of interest from Chelsea before the club spent a world record transfer fee on recruiting Kepa Arrizabalaga from Spain.

Chelsea needed a replacement for Real Madrid-bound Thibaut Courtois, and it seems Areola was hopeful he would be the one to fill the void.

'We spoke a lot in the summer. He wanted to come here but the final decision was not my responsibility,' Lollichon told Le Figaro.

'It would have been a pleasure to work with him.

'I did not have to wait until Thursday [on his France debut] to discover Alphonse. For me, he is already the best French goalkeeper today.

'His size, his ball-playing qualities, his calmness, he is the goalkeeper most adapted to playing in the way of the team. We eulogise about Lloris too much, but Areola is above him.

'Against Germany, he was very good in his position and his ability to cut out balls behind his defence. It is the base of any goalkeeper, but not everyone can do it as well.'

Tottenham's Hugo Lloris and Manchester United's David de Gea would be considered the top two stoppers in the Premier League having spent several seasons at their respective clubs.

It is unlikely Chelsea will be dipping back into the market for another goalkeeper in the next few years having spent £71million on Kepa.

The Spain international has gone straight into the Chelsea side and has helped his team remain unbeaten in the new league campaign.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...