Why former Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois is still not starting for Real Madrid

Why former Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois is still not starting for Real Madrid

Thibaut Courtois' dream move to Real Madrid is turning into a bit of a nightmare, with the former Chelsea goalkeeper left on the bench for the third straight game on Sunday.

The Belgian swapped Stamford Bridge for the Bernabeu over the summer in a £35million deal that saw Mateo Kovacic join the Blues on loan, and he was expected to take the No.1 position from Keylor Navas.

However, new Real boss Julen Lopetegui has kept faith in the Costa Rican, with Courtois missing the Super Cup defeat to Atletico Madrid and sitting on the bench against Getafe and Girona.

Navas, who was between the sticks for three straight Champions League wins, is expected to continue in goal next time out and Lopetegui has told Courtois to bide his time.

'It's not a situation that's easy to understand, but it's simple enough to explain,' said the former Spain boss after his side's 4-1 win over Girona.

'I've got some really good options in goal and there are no problems in that area. We'll decide what's best for each game.

'Keylor got the nod today and did very well. There's great competition and that makes us stronger in the goalkeeping department. I've got some thoughts in my mind, but I'm not going to share them.

'Over the course of the season, I'll look for solutions to solve the next immediate challenge.'

Navas is in great form currently, making a number of excellent saves and even starting a move from which Real scored, and Courtois is unlikely to make his debut until after the international break next month.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...