Olivier Giroud confirms N'Golo Kante was too shy to ask to hold the World Cup trophy after France beat Croatia

N'Golo Kante was too shy to ask to touch the World Cup when his jubilant France team-mates were celebrating with football's famous trophy.

That's according to Olivier Giroud, who revealed someone had to physically hand it to his Chelsea team-mate.

Olivier Giroud confirms N'Golo Kante was too shy to ask to hold the World Cup trophy after France beat Croatia

Chelsea team-mates Kante and Giroud won the World Cup with France

"Obviously we knew that Hugo [Lloris, the captain] would be the first one to touch it," he said in a joint interview with Kante on the Chelsea Facebook page.

"I have to say I have been clever because I took the good position to touch it."

France's players celebrate their World Cup win with Giroud taking up his position next to captain Lloris

Asked what what it felt like to get his hands on it, Kante said: "I was waiting my turn," before he was interrupted by his team-mate.

"He is so shy so he didn't want to say 'give it to me', so he had to wait," Giroud interrupted.

"Sometimes people came in front of him. At the end of the day someone took it and gave it to him," he added, appearing to confirm the story that Steven N'Zonzi had to ask players to let the hard working midfielder hold it during the on-pitch celebrations.

Kante was vital to France's success at the 2018 World Cup

It has been a remarkable three years for the 27-year-old, who joined Leicester from Caen in 2015 for a reported £5.6m then won the Premier League in his first season, which earned him a £30m transfer to Chelsea where he won the competition again in 2017 before winning football's ultimate prize this year.

Giroud, 31, also explained how he had been waiting a long time to get his hands on the trophy.

"A childhood dream" is how he described winning the competition. "I was 11 years old when France first won it for the country [in 1998] and I was so excited, I said to my friends: 'one day I will win it.'"

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...