Danny Mills identifies which current Manchester United player Sir Alex Ferguson would sell

Danny Mills identifies which current Manchester United player Sir Alex Ferguson would sell

Former Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson would have no hesitation in offloading Paul Pogba if he was still the manager at Old Trafford.

The performances of the France international since his £89m return from Juventus continue to polarise opinion.

Pogba was once again missing in action during the 3-2 Premier League defeat to Brighton and Hove Albion, a game the 25-year-old admitted he didn't approach in the right attitude.

The display followed reports last week suggesting Pogba and Mourinho had fallen out following a turbulent summer which included the midfielder being linked with a move to Barcelona.

Mourinho was notably angered by the speculation which was encouraged by Pogba's agent Mino Raiola.

And due to his lack of contribution on the pitch and reported divisiveness off it, Mills feels Ferguson would have already lost patience with the ex-Juventus man.

'There has been a lot of talk of does Pogba stay or does he go? Who is bigger than the club?' the ex-Manchester City and England defender told Sky Sports.

'I don't think there is a particular issue between him and Mourinho. I don't really buy into that. I think there is maybe an issue between Pogba and the football club in terms of who is bigger.

'Is he causing one or two problems with the way he does things on social media? If it was Sir Alex I think he would be gone by now.

'But Sir Alex had the ability to bring in better players when he got rid of the likes of Jaap Stam, he brought in Rio Ferdinand.

'If Mourinho gets rid of Pogba he can't bring anybody else in. Also Ferguson had 10-15 years of trophies and experience at the football club and was the head honcho.

'He was in charge of everything but that is not what Mourinho does - he doesn't have that ability to do that.

'It is a difficult one. You have to play one of the world's best players if you have him in your squad but he is not playing well enough at the moment.'

Ferguson - winner of 28 major honours with United - was the manager when Pogba first left the club in 2012 after being given limited opportunities in the United first team.

Pogba captained United at the Amex Stadium on Sunday and though his place is not under any threat, he is not expected to keep the armband upon Antonio Valencia's return to full fitness.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...