Manchester United board still have full faith in Jose Mourinho despite poor start to the season

Manchester United board still have full faith in Jose Mourinho despite poor start to the season

Manchester United's hierarchy are not considering Jose Mourinho's future and still have complete faith in the Portuguese coach despite a tumultuous start to the season.

The Red Devils lost away to Brighton on Sunday afternoon, with the side lacking cohesion, chemistry and confidence at the Amex Stadium, and Mourinho was tetchy in his post-match media briefings afterwards.

Mourinho has been unhappy with United's lack of signings this summer, having prioritised a commanding centre-back which Ed Woodward failed to deliver, while his relationship with several players - notably Paul Pogba - is thought to be strained.

However, The Guardian report that Mourinho still retains the full backing of United's board in the wake of the 3-2 loss to Brighton.

The club's hierarchy are conscious that the World Cup has deprived Mourinho of crucial time to work with the squad during pre-season, while he is also dealing with a number of injuries.

Alexis Sanchez picked up a niggle in training on Friday, ruling him out of the clash with Brighton at the last minute, while Nemanja Matic and Antonio Valencia are also sidelined.

United bosses are still happy to stick by Mourinho - who signed a contract extension until 2020 in January - though there is a sense that he is under pressure to record a win against Tottenham next Monday.

The Red Devils are currently looking to appoint a new Director of Football to give the club more direction in the transfer market, which could chip away at some of Mourinho's power.

Mourinho alluded to that change on Sky Sports after beating Leicester, saying: 'I think football is changing, and probably football managers should be called now more head coaches.

'We have big and multi-functional coaching staff, and I think we are more the head coach than the manager. That is the way I think football is going.'

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...