Unai Emery confirms who will play in goal for Arsenal against Chelsea

Unai Emery confirms who will play in goal for Arsenal against Chelsea

Unai Emery has confirmed Petr Cech will keep his place in the Arsenal goal for Saturday's London derby against Chelsea.

The Spaniard spent and initial £19.6million on Germany international Bernd Leno this summer, but the former Bayer Leverkusen star began his Arsenal career on the substitutes' bench as the Gunners were beaten 2-0 by champions Manchester City last Sunday.

Cech made several impressive saves but struggled with the ball at his feet and almost scored an own goal, narrowly avoiding kicking the ball into his own net.

Leno's distribution and calmness in possession was one of the primary reasons he was identified by Arsenal's head of recruitment Sven Mislintat, but it appears as though the 26-year-old will need to bide his time before he makes his competitive debut.

'For Saturday, the decision for me is easy,' said Emery. 'Petr Cech can continue to start the match, I believe in him.

'If [in the future] Bernd starts, I believe in him also.

'I am very happy with his [Cech's] performance. He has experience, he has quality, he has the capacity.'

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...