Leicester manager Claude Puel: 'Harry Maguire is going to Manchester United... with us'

Leicester manager Claude Puel has joked that Harry Maguire will be going to Manchester United this week... but only because Leicester play there on Friday.

The Foxes kick off the 2018/19 Premier League campaign in an evening fixture at Old Trafford, and their boss was in a teasing move ahead of the opening game.

Leicester manager Claude Puel: 'Harry Maguire is going to Manchester United... with us'

Maguire starred for England at the World Cup

Speaking at a press conference to preview the match, which coincidentally took place on transfer deadline day, the Frenchman dismissed reports linking Maguire with a last-minute move away.

"I'm confident he's going to Manchester United, but only for a couple of hours with us!

"I am happy to keep Harry and all our best players.

"We lost Riyad [Mahrez], he was valuable for us, but it was important to keep all our best players, we want to keep a good ambition."

Regarding the player's personal attitude to the speculation, Puel added: "He has come back with a smile.

"Harry is a fantastic man. He showed his quality with the national team. He came back with a good spirit and attitude."

It has been reported that it would take a world-record bid for a defender, exceeding the £75million Liverpool paid Southampton for Virgil van Dijk, to even tempt Leicester to sell Maguire.

When that was put to Puel, the Frenchman maintained his stance.

"We will see what happens in his future but I am happy to keep Harry with us and I'm happy with his attitude in general. He has had a good mentality and spirit," he said.

"We have had good talks with Harry and with the chairman and we cannot change things just before the first game of the season and just before the end of the transfer window.

"For us it is not possible. It is not serious."

Meanwhile, Leicester have agreed a deal to sign Dinamo Zagreb defender Filip Benkovic.

Benkovic has Champions League and Europa League experience

The 21-year-old has signed a five-year contract at the King Power Stadium, subject to the deal being given international clearance.

He becomes the sixth new arrival of the summer following the acquisitions of Ricardo Pereira, Jonny Evans, James Maddison, Danny Ward and Rachid Ghezzal.

Puel said: "Filip is an exciting young player who has the potential to develop even more at Leicester City Football Club.

"He has made a big contribution to Dinamo Zagreb over the last three years and has also benefited from experiencing European football.

"I know he will give us some great options and competition in the squad and I'm delighted to have him here."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...