Kepa Arrizabalaga sends class message to Chelsea fans after completing £71m transfer

Kepa Arrizabalaga sends class message to Chelsea fans after completing £71m transfer

Kepa Arrizabalaga insists he wants to become a Chelsea legend after his world-record move to Stamford Bridge was confirmed.

Chelsea met Kepa's £71million release clause on Wednesday night with the former Athletic Bilbao goalkeeper signing a seven-year deal with the Premier League club.

The deal broke the record for the most expensive goalkeeper signing that Liverpool set earlier in the summer when they bought Alisson from Roma.

Kepa will train with his new team-mates for the first time on Thursday and could make his debut for the club in Saturday's Premier League opener against Huddersfield Town.

Asked what he wants to achieve at Stamford Bridge, Kepa told Chelsea TV: 'I'd like to be remembered at this club when I leave years down the line as a goalkeeper that has helped the club win a lot of titles and gone down in history in that way.

'All clubs need to fight to win titles and all players want is to win. So what I would like is to win more titles for the club. This is what I aspire to do.

'On a personal level I'd like to be remembered as someone who got on with everyone. A likeable person who people enjoyed having around.

'I just want to let the fans know that I am looking forward and am excited to start playing for the club. I have come prepared to work really hard.

'We have a very exciting season ahead of us so let's go for it and see what we can achieve together.'

Chelsea began working on a deal for Kepa after it became apparent that Thibaut Courtois would be leaving the club.

The Belgium international, a two-time Premier League winner, completed a move to Real Madrid on Wednesday.

Kepa also revealed he had spoken to Chelsea's Spanish players before agreeing a move to west London.

'I know all the Spanish players that I have played with in the various age groups for Spain,' he added.

'I spoke to various players before I came here: Cesar Azpilicueta, Alvaro Morata, Pedro.

'I had excellent references from them about the club. It has been a great support for me over the last few days.

'It has been a very important decision for me, a tough decision for me for my personal life.

'What attracted me to Chelsea? Everything. All the titles the club has won. All the players at the club, the city, the Premier League.

'It is an accumulation of things really and I'm delighted the club has signed me.

'Of course there are many great players here like N'Golo Kante, Eden Hazard and Olivier Giroud. It is a squad full of fantastic players.'

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...