Manchester United should complete Toby Alderweireld transfer instead of Harry Maguire, says Rio Ferdinand

Manchester United have 24 hours to bring in new faces and manager Jose Mourinho will hope he has at least one more player at his disposal by Thursday evening.

The transfer window closes at 5pm on 9 August and the club is expected to bring in a new defender.

Jerome Boateng, Yerry Mina, Harry Maguire and Toby Alderweireld have all been linked and former Old Trafford centre-back Rio Ferdinand thinks it should be the Spurs man who shores up the back line.

Manchester United should complete Toby Alderweireld transfer instead of Harry Maguire, says Rio Ferdinand

Toby Alderweireld is better suited to Manchester United, says Rio Ferdinand

"Harry Maguire did great at the World Cup, but of the players potentially available he would not be my first choice," he said. "I would go for Alderweireld, all day long, because he is suited to the way United play."

Ferdinand's partnership with Nemanja Vidic at the heart of United's defence is legendary, so the BT Sport analyst knows what he's talking about.

"But it will take more than a quality defender to galvanise them, and this is where you have to respect Mourinho's track record and his history of winning trophies," he added.

The Ferdinand and Vidic combo is one of the best in Premier League history

"Do I think he will still be manager of Manchester United this time next year? Put it this way: I hope so, because if he is still there, it means they have been successful and won something."

United begin their season on Friday 10 August against Leicester, but have so far only added Fred, Diogo Dalot and Lee Grant to their squad.

"My CEO knows what I want and I still have a few days to wait and see what happens," Mourinho said recently.

"The other clubs who compete with us are really strong and already have fantastic teams. Or they are investing massively like Liverpool, who are buying everything and everybody.

"If we don't make our team better it will be a difficult season for us."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...