Lyon boss isn't ruling out late Nabil Fekir move amid Chelsea interest

Lyon manager Bruno Genesio isn't ruling out a possible late exit for Nabil Fekir amid transfer rumours suggesting Chelsea are trying to sign him.

Fekir was left out of OL's squad that faced the Blues last night in the team's last pre-season friendly of the summer ahead of their first Premier League match this Saturday against Huddersfield at The John Smith's Stadium.

Reports suggest the London club will try to lure the France international to Stamford Bridge after Liverpool saw a deal for the midfielder collapse earlier in the summer.

According to Sky Sports, Genesio isn't sure Fekir will stay with the Ligue 1 side and claimed anything is possible, even with just over 24 hours remaining of the Premier League transfer window.

'It's too early to say. He wanted to leave at the end of last season, but came back to training yesterday and was happy,' he said.

'Who knows? There may be opportunities that come up before the end of the window. For now, he is a Lyon player.'

Liverpool came close to landing the Frenchman but were concerned by medical reports regarding some long-running knee problems and pulled the plug when Lyon refused to re-structure the deal.

Chelsea have recently joined the race to sign the Frenchman as new boss Maurizio Sarri has had very little time to prepare his side for the new campaign.

Blues striker Olivier Giroud revealed that he and team-mate Eden Hazard tried to convince the 25-year-old to join the squad after negotiations with Liverpool fell through.

Fekir has said that he is 'very happy' at Lyon but hasn't ruled out the possibility of leaving the club.

'As you can see, I am in Lyon. I am very happy here,' he said.

'But the transfer window is still long and everything goes very quickly in football. We don't know what will happen in the future but I am very happy at Lyon.

'I feel brilliant in this squad. We have very good players, a great atmosphere. We feel good together and I hope that Lyon will have a very good season.'

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...