Liverpool News: 'He can say whatever he wants' - Jurgen Klopp not bothered by Jose Mourinho taunts

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has laughed off Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho's taunts about the club's transfer fees.

The Reds have been busy this summer signing four new players as the German overhauls his squad ahead of a title challenge.

Liverpool News: 'He can say whatever he wants' - Jurgen Klopp not bothered by Jose Mourinho taunts

Fabinho (£43million), Naby Keita (£52.75million), Xherdan Shaqiri (£13million), and Alisson (£65million) have all arrived at Anfield, while Virgil van Dijk was signed for £75million in January.

This spree saw Mourinho took great joy in pointing out the spending was at odds with Klopp's previous assertions that he 'did football differently' by not paying huge fees for players.

And the Red Devils boss added he felt his opposite number now had to win the Premier League title to justify the outlays.

But Klopp struck back, laughing off Mourinho's comments ahead of their pre-season friendly in the United States.

"One of my biggest goals in life is to make Jose smile - it doesn't happen very often," joked the German.

"I don't even think it is a mind game, I think it is normal. I would never talk about Manchester United if no-one asked me about it.

"I have no problem with what Jose Mourinho is saying, it is a free world and he can say whatever he wants. If he is happy about our transfers [then it is] even better [for us].

"We know it doesn't mean you win [trophies] automatically."

And when asked whether he felt he had to win the Premier League this season Klopp said: "I don't think so.

"Do I get the sack if not? Depends on the football we play."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...