Liverpool sign Shaqiri from Stoke in £13m deal

Liverpool have confirmed the signing of Stoke City winger Xherdan Shaqiri on a long-term deal.

The Switzerland international, who featured for his country at the World Cup in Russia, was unable to stop the Potters from slipping into the Championship last season.

Liverpool sign Shaqiri from Stoke in £13m deal

The 26-year-old scored 15 goals in 84 league appearances for the Potters in three years at the bet365 Stadium.

He told the club's official website he was delighted to be arriving at Anfield.

Shaqiri revealed: "It's a huge club with big history, big players and a fantastic coach. So I'm really glad and happy to be here.

"As a player you always want to be on the biggest stage in football. A few years ago I wanted to come too but it didn't happen. I'm really happy that now I'm finally here.

"I want to improve myself too, I want to be with the best and I want to win titles. That's what I'm here for."

The deal, which is believed to be around £13 million, was completed late on Friday evening after a lengthy medical procedure.

He will wear the number 23 shirt for the Reds, previously vacated by Emre Can - who left to join Juventus earlier this summer.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...