Daniel Sturridge drops strong hint over Liverpool future

Daniel Sturridge has dropped the strongest hint yet that he is ready to stay and fight for his Liverpool future.

The England international marked his first appearance for the Reds in any competition by scoring twice during a second half outing in a 7-0 win over Chester FC.

Following the game, manager Jurgen Klopp refused to speculate over Sturridge's future and insisted a decision over whether the 28-year-old will leave had not yet been made.

Sturridge's career at Anfield looked bleak last season after he was sent on loan to West Bromwich Albion where he made just six appearances during an injury-hit spell.

The ex-Chelsea and Manchester City forward has spiralled down the pecking order since Klopp's arrival on Merseyside and he now lies behind Roberto Firmino, Dominic Solanke and Danny Ings in the race for a starting berth.

But is appears Sturridge is unwilling to give up on his Liverpool career after posting a bold message on his Instagram page.

Alongside an image of his opening goal against the National League North side, he wrote: 'Nice to be back in an LFC shirt with a win and some goals. Just the beginning.'

Reports this week had suggested Klopp was ready to choose between Sturridge and Divock Origi, with the Belgian have spent last term on loan at Bundesliga side Wolfsburg.

Origi also endured a tough spell away from Liverpool, scoring just seven times in 36 appearances to throw his future in England into major doubt.

Klopp however does not appear ready to make a decision over either forward having stated that Sturridge's future will be addressed at a later date.

'We are not thinking about his future yet," he told reporters. 'At this point, everyone has a chance to show me what they can do.

'Most of the time he hasn't played for me because of injuries. We will see what happens but if he plays like that, it helps us.

'I saw a lot of good things from Daniel so he needs more that he can still impress me. I know about his quality. A very positive week, very positive today, he looked really good.'

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...