Romelu Lukaku reveals his advice for Eden Hazard and Kevin De Bruyne before Belgium beat Brazil

Romelu Lukaku reveals his advice for Eden Hazard and Kevin De Bruyne before Belgium beat Brazil

Romelu Lukaku has revealed that he gave positional instructions to Eden Hazard and Kevin De Bruyne before Belgium's victory over Brazil on Friday evening.

Belgium are through to the semi-finals after securing a 2-1 win over Brazil and will now face France on Tuesday for a place in the World Cup final.

For the match against Brazil, Roberto Martinez opted to switch his tactics by playing Lukaku on the right side of his attack, Hazard on the opposite flank, while De Bruyne operated as a false nine thorough the middle.

An own goal from Fernandinho gave Belgium the lead before De Bruyne doubled their advantage before half time. Renato Augusto provided a lifeline for Brazil to set up a tense finish but Martinez's men were able to hold on to the victory.

And Lukaku admits he helped Martinez get his message across in training by giving tactical advice to Hazard and De Bruyne.

'I have played in this system more often at Everton [under Martinez], and I knew exactly what to do,' Lukaku told Sporza.

'I helped Eden Hazard and Kevin De Bruyne and explained to them how they should stand and what to do, explaining once was enough, we did the job perfectly, we won deservedly.

'My all-round game is always my strong point, I try to make other players better, I want to score as much as possible and also give as many assists as possible, and I am very busy with the team, so I can be important too.'

Martinez admitted his Belgium players had to be 'brave' when adopting his change of tactics against Brazil.

'When you play you have to get a tactical advantage,' said Martinez.

'It would be very easy to think you turn up and win a football game but you cannot do that against Brazil.

'We had to be brave tactically and to do that in a World Cup, the players have to believe. It's about execution of the tactics.'

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...