Thibaut Courtois responds to claims he mocked Jordan Pickford's height after Belgium win

Thibaut Courtois responds to claims he mocked Jordan Pickford's height after Belgium win

Thibaut Courtois cleared up previous comments he made about Jordan Pickford's height following Belgium's 2-1 victory over Brazil.

Belgium's goalkeeper was accused of mocking Pickford after England's number one failed to save Adnan Januzaj's goal in the sides' Group G clash.

Courtois claimed he could have 'caught' the shot because he's taller than Pickford and the Everton man hit back at the comments after his penalty shootout heroics against Colombia.

'I did all my research. I've got power and agility. I don't care if I'm not the biggest keeper because it's about being there in the moment and making the save and I was,' Pickford told ITV after England's last 16 win.

'It's all about the set position and I got a hand to it. We knew we had this game, even if it had to go to penalties, we knew we were capable of winning.'

Courtois, who produced a crucial late save to deny Neymar on Friday night, responded to the backlash he received surrounding the comments he made about Pickford.

'Can I just say one more thing,' Courtois said as his interview with BBC Sportwas coming to an end.

'This thing about Jordan, I want to clarify it because I heard a lot of stuff. I never mocked his height and I want to make that clear.

'I would never mock the height of a goalkeeper and I think he's a great goalkeeper. He proved it this year.

'I only said that maybe I would have saved it because I'm 15cm taller but I never mocked his height because I know he's a great goalkeeper. I want to make that clear.'

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...