Paris Saint-Germain complete signing of Juventus and Italy legend Gianluigi Buffon

Paris Saint-Germain complete signing of Juventus and Italy legend Gianluigi Buffon

Paris Saint-Germain have confirmed the signing of Juventus legend Gianluigi Buffon.

After months of speculation about where the 40-year-old goalkeeper would be carrying on his career, the Ligue 1 champions have confirmed they have snapped him up on a free transfer.

Buffon, who joined Juve from Parma in 2001, has played over 1,000 official matches for club and country combined and has won 23 trophies in his distinguished career.

Speaking to PSG's official website, he revealed ambition was the driving force behind his switch to the French capital.

"It is with a great feeling of happiness that I join Paris Saint-Germain," he said.

"For the first time in my career, I am leaving my country and only a project this ambitious could have encouraged me to make such a decision. I want to thank the club and the president for their confidence.

"To have followed the club's incredible progression in recent years, I know what dreams Paris Saint-Germain and its fans have in their hearts.

"I am going to bring all my energy, all my experience and all of my thirst to win to help my new club achieve all the great objectives it has set out for the future.

"With my teammates and our supporters, we will share fantastic emotions at the Parc des Princes and in all of the stadiums in which we are going to represent Paris, a marvellous city that deserves to one day see its club at the top of international football."

As the most capped footballer in European history with 176 appearances to his name, the World Cup winner brings a wealth of experience to the Ligue 1 champions.

The 40-year-old has signed a one-year deal with the Parisians, with the option of a second.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...