Liverpool signing Fabinho reveals how close he came to joining Manchester United

Liverpool signing Fabinho reveals how close he came to joining Manchester United

Liverpool new boy Fabinho has revealed that Manchester United were interested in signing him but admits a move to Old Trafford was never close.

Fabinho, 24, became Liverpool's first signing of the summer when he completed a £43million switch to Anfield at the end of May, with Jurgen Klopp determined to bring in reinforcements in midfield.

Naby Keita soon joined former Monaco man on Merseyside as the Reds look to bolster their squad ahead of the 2018/19 campaign.

Fabinho was also linked with Liverpool's bitter rivals, United, and the midfielder has lifted the lid on negotiations the Red Devils held over a possible move.

'I was never close to signing for Manchester United, no,' the Brazilian told FourFourTwo magazine.

'I heard things said about it, but the truth is it was never a strong possibility.

'I won't deny there were a few conversations about my situation with Monaco, but there was never an official offer from United.'

Fabinho claimed that he had his heart set on Liverpool after discovering that they held an interest in him.

He added: 'As soon as Liverpool declared their interest in signing me, it was a simple decision to make.

'A club with Liverpool's history wants you? Come on, you just pack your bags and go.

'It will be an honour to wear the famous red shirt.'

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...