More than a number: Mesut Ozil proud to take over Arsenal's No.10 shirt

Mesut Ozil has worn the No.11 at Arsenal until now (Picture: Getty)

Mesut Ozil has expressed his delight at finally being handed the No.10 shirt by Arsenal.

The German has waited patiently since 2013 to take over the number, and was offered the opportunity this summer when Jack Wilshere exited the club.

Wilshere claimed the No.10 shirt in 2012 when Robin van Persie left for Manchester United and announced last month he would not be renewing his contract with Arsenal.

Ozil has coveted the number since his arrival five years ago and admitted it was a dream come true to take over the No.10 spot.

He said: 'It has never been a secret how special this number is to me. My childhood idol Zinedine Zidane wore this number and it is still the most characteristic one for the playmaker position.

'I'm looking forward to putting it on for the first time at Arsenal after the summer break.'

Arsenal also announced any fans who bought a 2018/19 season shirt with Ozil's No.11 number on the back will be sent a replacement.

That applies to home and away shirts and the club advised supporters who bought from an official Arsenal store to return to the shop and present a receipt for a replacement.

Ozil will be hoping the new number ushers in a better period for him at Arsenal after another difficult season.

The forward struggled to impose himself through-out the 2017/18 campaign and Arsenal finished sixth in the Premier League, again missing out on Champions League football.

But, Unai Emery is now in charge and is aiming to oversee a new era at Arsenal that will see the Gunners return to challenging for top honours.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...