Cristiano Ronaldo not thinking about retirement after Portugal knocked out of World Cup

Cristiano Ronaldo not thinking about retirement after Portugal knocked out of World Cup

Cristiano Ronaldo has refused to comment on his future with Portugal after the European champions were dumped out of the World Cup.

Uruguay beat Portugal 2-1 in the last-16 to send Ronaldo and his team-mates packing, and the exit could signal the end of the superstar's international career.

Ronaldo won Euro 2016 with Portugal and has proven himself to be his country's greatest ever player.

But after more heartbreak in the World Cup, Ronaldo hinted he would speak more on the possibility of retirement in the coming weeks.

'It's not the time to talk about the future, when it comes to the players and coach,' he said.

'This team will continue to be one of the best in the world, with quality players, a young group, united. I am confident and happy because this team will always fight with all their strength.'

Portugal will be disappointed with their performance against Uruguay after boasting almost 70 per cent of possession and firing off 20 shots.

Centre-back Pepe headed Portugal level in the second half before Edinson Cavani restored Uruguay's lead with his second of the game.

Ronaldo barely had a sniff of a chance in front of goal and admitted after the game Uruguay were deserved winners.

'We must congratulate Uruguay because they are the national team that are in the quarter-finals,' Ronaldo said after the game.

'I think we played a good game and maybe we deserved more, but in football the ones that score the most goals win and they scored two, so congratulations.

'We leave with our heads held high. As the captain of Portugal I know how hard we have worked and we must be proud of the team.

'And I also want to congratulate the organisation of this World Cup, it has been fantastic in every way; the organisation, the security, the atmosphere is perfect and it must be said.

'We go with our heads held high and we are sure that this team will continue to win things.'

Ronaldo will be 37 when the next World Cup rolls around in Qatar, while Lionel Messi too has been tipped to hang up his boots for Argentina after they were knocked out of the tournament by France.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...