Chelsea defender David Luiz hints at Benfica return

Chelsea defender David Luiz has dropped a hint he could be on his way back to Benfica after a tumultuous season at Stamford Bridge.

Speaking to Portuguese publication A Bola, the Brazilian admitted he is keen for a return to the Portuguese giants at some point in his career.

He said: 'I think I will finish my career at Benfica. Benfica is a passion. Benfica comes first, then comes my woman and my family.'

The 31-year-old was a regular under Antonio Conte during Chelsea's title-winning 2016/17 campaign but rarely featured last term due to a combination of injury and a fall out with the Italian.

The Brazilian, who played a major role for his nation in the 2014 World Cup, was subsequently left out of Tite's 23-man squad for this summer's tournament in Russia.

Luiz has just one season remaining on his current Blues contract which could see the club cash in on his values before he is let allowed to depart for free next summer.

Following his first spell at the club, Chelsea sold the defender to Paris Saint-Germain for £50m in 2014, only to re-sign him two seasons later in a deal worth a reported £34m.

Luiz posted videos on social media earlier this week to show how he had returned to training at Chelsea's Cobham base earlier than required.

Newspaper reports have previously linked him with moves to Monaco and Napoli.

Any decision over Luiz's future will be delayed by the uncertainty of the manager's position at the club - Maurizo Sarri and Laurent Blanc have been heavily linked while Antonio Conte has yet to be dismissed from the position.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...