Manchester United 'need' special Neymar or Gareth Bale says Paul Scholes

Manchester United have been urged to sign a 'special' type of player in the mould of Gareth Bale or Neymar in order to continue to challenge under Jose Mourinho.

Mourinho's tactics were often criticised last season, with United finishing as the lowest scorers in the Premier League's top four on their way to a second place finish behind champions Manchester City.

Building a squad capable of making up the 19-point gap between the Manchester rivals will be Mourinho's main task this summer, and Paul Scholes says a marquee name is required.

'If he [Jose Mourinho] can change something through the summer, buy new players and he can find a way of playing that maybe is a little bit more entertaining then who knows, you don't know,' said Scholes.

'A lot can happen over the summer. Let's hope we can get close again. We need some good attacking players. I think the nucleus of the squad is quite good, there's some really good young attacking players.

'I think he possibly needs a bit of help with [Romelu] Lukaku. He seems like the only out-and-out centre-forward he's got.

'It's hard to know what's available, would Gareth Bale be available? People like Neymar will they be available? I don't know. These are the type of special players that I think United need.'

Scholes was speaking moments prior to Bale inspiring Real Madrid to their third successive Champions League success against Liverpool in Kiev.

The Wales international netted a breath-taking bicycle-kick to put Real in front for a second time before Loris Karius allowed his 30-yard shot to slip through his grasp to confirm the 3-1 win.

Despite his match-winning intervention, Bale has slipped down the pecking order at the Bernabeu and could leave Spain if Real's £200m valuation is met this summer.

Meanwhile, Neymar could yet leave Paris Saint-Germain this summer after just 12 months in the French capital amid speculation over a switch to Real.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...