Collapse Against Manchester United Could Haunt Us- Pep Guardiola

Collapse Against Manchester United Could Haunt Us- Pep Guardiola

Collapse Against Manchester United Could Haunt Us- Pep GuardiolaPep Guardiola has confessed that there is a chance his Manchester City players could be haunted by the manner of their dramatic collapse against Manchester United.

Manchester City were two goals ahead inside half an hour of Saturday's match at the Etihad Stadium and had numerous chances to completely kill things off before the break.

A failure to take their openings, though, with Raheem Sterling guilty of squandering two glorious opportunities, would cost City dearly as United scored three times in the second half to turn the game on its head.

Pep Guardiola now hopes that his players do not get weighed down by the painful manner of the collapse if they score early on against Liverpool, as they require three goals to level up the Champions League quarter-final tie.

"Yeah, it can happen," he told reporters when asked if his players could be affected. "Yeah it's difficult in itself, it's difficult for our mood not winning against United and, yeah, that can happen.

"But maybe we will improve for the future on that, to realise that sometimes it's not enough what you've done to win the games. I came here in the first half to try to do what we've done all season but maybe it's not enough to win at Champions League level or the Premier League.

"If that's so I will have recognise that I'm not good enough, or the way we want to play is not able to do that, but I don't think so because of what we've done this season, in the first half [against United], even in moments in the second half.

"I have to be happy. I like to watch my team, the way we play this season and the way we played in the first half [against United] but, when you play against Liverpool or in Europe, when you have that momentum you have to close the door. And we didn't close it [against United]."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...