OFFICIAL: Liverpool break club record to complete £39 million transfer of Mohamed Salah

OFFICIAL: Liverpool break club record to complete £39 million transfer of Mohamed Salah

Liverpool have officially completed the signing of Mohamed Salah from Roma for a club record fee of £39million.

The Egypt international represents the first major signing of what is expected to be a busy summer of transfer activity at Anfield, with Jurgen Klopp keen to strengthen his squad ahead of Liverpool's return to the Champions League.

Salah almost joined Liverpool in January 2014 only to sign for Chelsea from Basel. The 25-year-old made just 13 Premier League appearances under Jose Mourinho and Guus Hiddink, but has resurrected his career in Serie A with Fiorentina, where he spent six months on loan, before a controversial move to Roma.

Salah has agreed a four-year contract with Liverpool, which also has the option for another season, worth £90,000 a week, and becomes Liverpool's most expensive signing in history, overtaking the £35m paid to Newcastle United for Andy Carroll in January 2011.

The Reds' latest signing will take the number 11 shirt, as leaked pictures showed moments before the official announcement was released by the club.

And when the announcement came, it followed the recent trend of being via a slightly sneaky Tweet from the club's official account.

Tweeting a video of someone scrolling through their phone for updates on the Salah announcement, the camera then zoomed out to show it to be Salah himself.

Speaking to Liverpool's official site about making the move to Anfield, he said: 'I'm very excited to be here. I'm very happy.

'I will give 100 per cent and give everything for the club. I really want to win something for this club.

'We have a great team and very good players. I was watching the games last year and everyone was giving 100 per cent to win something.

'Everyone can see the coach gives everything. I hope to see that together we can give everything to win something for the club, for the supporters and for us.'

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...