What I regret not telling Sir Alex Ferguson in 2009 - Ferdinand

What I regret not telling Sir Alex Ferguson in 2009 - Ferdinand

Former Manchester United defender, Rio Ferdinand, has said one regret of his time at Old Trafford, is not telling Sir Alex Ferguson to pick his strongest team in the 2009 FA Cup semi- final against Everton.

In a Letter to My Younger Self, written for the Players' Tribune website, Ferdinand said that had cost him the chance to win the trophy.

During his 12 years as a United player, Ferdinand won six Premier League titles, three League Cups and the Champions League, but never lifted the FA Cup.

"Of all the matches you'll go on to play, if there's one thing you can do, just one thing you can change, tell the gaffer to play Rooney and Ronaldo in the FA Cup semifinal against Everton.

"There's a [Champions League] semifinal or something coming up and he wants to make sure everyone is rested. So he's shuffling the squad to keep people fit. I get it.

"But I know, I know if they played, there would have been another cup at Old Trafford. So say that to the manager.

"The FA Cup, it'll be the one trophy that eludes you in your career. And looking back, this would've been your best opportunity to get it.
So tell him," he wrote.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...