Chelsea sign Kante from Leicester

Chelsea sign Kante from Leicester

Chelsea on Saturday announced the signing of Leicester City's defensive midfielder N'Golo Kante on a five-year deal to become new boss Antonio Conte's second capture of the summer.

The fee for the French international was about £32 million (38 million euros, $42 million), British media said, and comes after Chelsea snapped up Belgian striker Michy Batshuayi from Marseille for a similar fee.

"I am so happy to have signed for one of the biggest clubs in Europe. It's a dream come true for me," the 25-year-old Kante told Chelsea's website.

"The opportunity to work with Antonio Conte, a brilliant coach, and some of the best players in the world was simply too good to turn down."
Kante, signed for Leicester last summer from French club Caen for a bargain £5.6 million, was a revelation breaking down attacks during his maiden season in England as Claudio Ranieri's side became shock Premier League champions.

He was named on the six-man shortlist for the PFA Players' Player of the Year award - won by Foxes team-mate Riyad Mahrez - but his displays also brought him to the attention of Europe's biggest clubs.

"My first season in English football was very special and now I hope to go on to achieve even more during my time as a Chelsea player," added Kante.

"I am looking forward to meeting up with my new team-mates and helping the club achieve a lot of success."

Chelsea's technical director Michael Emenalo called Kante "a perfect fit in terms of Antonio Conte's philosophies and the style of football he wants to play.

"For a player of his age he has already built up a wealth of experience and his exceptional quality will without doubt be a great addition to the team."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...