I feel underrated in music industry -GT the Guitarman

I feel underrated in music industry -GT the Guitarman

Singer, Olugbemiro Tokunbo, aka GT the Guitarman, is believed to have one of the smoothest voices in the Nigerian music industry. When he first came on the scene, many believed that he was destined for greatness and some even opined that he might one day win a Grammy. However, several years down the line, the guitarman's career hasn't soared as high as expected.

In a chat with Sunday Scoop, GT admitted that he did feel underrated in the music industry. He said, "Yes, I do feel underrated sometimes, especially when you see the guys that are representing the industry right now. These are people that I watched grow. However, being underrated might not always be a bad thing. It only means that you are yet to reach the mark that you're aiming for. When you stop growing, you're dead. And that's the reason I'm still putting in work till date and trying to get better."

The singer however insisted that he had never rued making slow music. "I have never regretted making the type of music I do. I don't think there is anybody in the industry who had left for the number of years I did and still gets shows. I think it would have been easier if I was making the pangolo music that the clubs want to hear. But the truth is that there is still a market for what we do. There are weddings and other corporate and social events every weekend that one gets to perform at."

Explaining why he quit music sometime ago, GT stated, "It is true that I quit music. I knew that I could still come back but a lot of people made such a big deal of it. It was more like me saying I wanted to do other things so that people, who were always disturbing me to release new songs, would give me a breathing space. I told people I was quitting music but what I really meant was that I was taking a break.

"I got back into the industry barely two months ago. Before I decided to leave, I was working on a project called Animal Instinct. Right now, I am in the studio trying to work on more singles, which I hope to put out by January 2019. I'm also talking to a few spots, hoping to get a wonderful place where GT lovers can come to watch me perform live with my band regularly."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...