Househelp shares the pains she's had to endure from her bosses, including being sexually assaulted by a pastor

A househelp has narrated her tale of the sufferings she's endured from her bosses, and this has generated a lot of sympathy and outrage from folks on social media.

The lady, now 20, has revealed that she began working as a househelp when she was still a teenager, and she's been sexually assaulted by her male bosses.

The wife of one of the men made her feel it was her fault and maltreated her as a result. She escaped when the man tried to rape her.

Househelp shares the pains she's had to endure from her bosses, including being sexually assaulted by a pastor

Aadly, her experience as a househelp in Lagos didn't get any better. One of her employers who was a pastor also tried to rape her.

Sharing her story with Humans of New York, she said:

"I want to live a happy life. I'm tired of living a poor life. I'm trying to save money for school but nothing is working. I've left home three different times looking for work. The first time I found a job as a housekeeper. But every morning when I got dressed the man would try to touch me. I was only seventeen. He wouldn't even stop when I threatened to tell on him. His wife blamed me for his attention. She beat me severely. There were bruises all over my body. She didn't even allow me to eat. But I tried to stay because I wanted to go to school so badly. Then one morning he tried to rape me in the bath, and I finally ran away. When I found a new housekeeping job, the same thing happened. This time it was a pastor. So a few weeks ago I switched to a cleaning job at an art gallery. But they just fired me for speaking to the visitors. I don't know why this always happens to me. It makes me so angry. I get mad at my parents for being poor. I get mad at my friends for going to school. When I see their graduation pictures on Facebook, I just start crying. I'm already twenty years old. I should be finishing school, but I haven't even started yet. But everything has it's own time. Hopefully my time will come too."

(Lagos, Nigeria)

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...