Ukrainian Comedian Wins Presidential Election In A Landslide Vote

Volodymyr Zelensky, a Ukrainian comedian, has won the Presidential election with a landslide victory, in the country.

Ukrainian Comedian Wins Presidential Election In A Landslide Vote

It was gathered that the Ukrainian comedian who won the Presidential election, polled 70% support. He dominated the first round of voting three weeks ago when 39 candidates were on the ticket.

Mr Zelensky challenged incumbent president Petro Poroshenko. Mr Poroshenko has admitted defeat but told supporters gathered in Kiev that he will not leave politics.

"I will never let you down," Mr Zelensky told supporters on Sunday. He added: "While I am not formally president yet, as a citizen of Ukraine I can tell all post-Soviet countries: 'Look at us! Everything is possible!'"

It was learnt that thirty-seven candidates were removed from the ballot paper from the first round and yet the president only picked up about 9% more votes this time. Mr Zelensky gained almost 45 percent. Polls gave Mr Poroshenko, who has been in power since 2014, 25% of the vote. The billionaire was elected after an uprising overthrew the country's previous, pro-Russian government.

"The outcome of the election leaves us with uncertainty [and] unpredictability," he said after exit polls were released.

"I will leave office but I want to firmly stress - I will not quit politics," he added.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...