"Why I Got YouTube To Take Down Tiwa Savage's 'One'"- Danny Young

'Why I Got YouTube To Take Down Tiwa Savage's 'One''- Danny Young
In November 2018, singer Danny Young called out Tiwa Savage for lifting vital parts of his song Oju Ti Ti Won and used it in her single One which was released towards the end of 2018.

As it were, the case became controversial as music enthusiasts on social media dragged Danny Young for claiming that the lyrics "Ododun la ro rorogbo, ododun la ra osa, odd dun la ro awusa" were his when in facts were words from a common Yoruba proverb.

Danny Young insisted the lyrics were his since he added a few more words and rhythm to the adage, and that he was ready to file a copyright case against Tiwa Savage.

On Wednesday morning, Nigerians woke up to discover that the song had BEEN removed from Tiwa Savage's YouTube page. The message displayed read thus: "Tiwa Savage One is no longer available due to a copyright claim by a third party", leading fans to believe Danny Young had made good his threat.

In an exclusive chat with Net, Danny Young revealed that it was, in fact, he who made the copyright claim so as to stop Savage from continuing to profit on what is originally his.

"This is not a social media battle, it is just about doing the right thing. When I heard her song last year, my lawyers reached out to her lawyers but they ignored us. They thought it was just one small boy talking," he said, adding also that he has respect for Tiwa and it was nothing personal.

"Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for Tiwa Savage and I respect her craft as well, but you see, two brothers can have a case in court and still have a good relationship with each other."

He also had a few words from sections of the media and fans who mocked him when he made the original claim.

"It is not about the song being from a proverb, the media got it all wrong by saying it was Sunny Ade who sang it first, but the truth is Sunny Ade only used a few lines from the proverb while Tiwa's verse was a replica of mine, as well as the extra rhythm and lyrics that I added."

While insisting that he was not going to reveal what actually transpired between their legal teams, Danny Young says the matter is now beyond him.

"I won't reveal what my lawyers offered Tiwa Savage to do the needful about the lyrics of my song. It is beyond me at the moment. I have a label handling it now and it is beyond me now."

Net further sought to know why he decided to revisit a song which was released over 10 years ago, Danny Young said, "Well no one used the lyrics in 2009. Tiwa and every other singer out there is a role model, so we must not continue to operate in an industry that has no structure. Before we blame the government, we must ask ourselves if we are doing the right thing. I am just trying to do the right thing and trying to prove that copyright issues must be taken seriously especially in the Nigerian entertainment industry."

When Net reached out to a source close to Tiwa Savage's camp, they revealed that the Mavin singer was not going to speak on it as they were making plans to get the song back on YouTube.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...