I learnt how to make whiskey from start to finish in Scotland - Richard Mofe-Damijo

I learnt how to make whiskey from start to finish in Scotland - Richard Mofe-Damijo

Ace movie star, Richard Mofe-Damijo, shares his experience of Scotland with Kore Ogidan.

How often do you travel?

I can't put a number to it but I travel quite often. It typically depends on how much work comes in. Because of the nature of my job, I travel quite a lot. Sometimes, I travel at least once a month and typically, overall, I travel more than 12 times in a year.

Do you enjoy travelling?

I do, very much. I love to travel. It's my education that never stops. It's never a problem for me to fly as I am not afraid of flying. I like to fly in comfort.

What do you enjoy whenever you are on the plane?

I enjoy the solitude; the fact that I get to be more reflective when I'm on board. It's my alone time and I get to relish every moment I get to think deep.

What was your most recent travel experience?

That was my trip to Scotland. I was invited to partake in the trip by Johnnie Walker. It was like a whiskey immersion and there, I learnt almost all there is to know about Johnnie Walker whiskey - how it's made and how it arrives at its end quality. I also got to see a bit of Scotland and the history behind the country; the exotic landscapes and more. Getting there took about six hours of flying to London and connecting from there to Scotland. I didn't have a long layover and it took just a bit over an hour to get to Scotland from London. It was my third time going to Scotland and every time birthed a new experience. This time, I got to spend - give or take - a week and I got more insight into some things I couldn't take note of the last time I was there. This last travel was a total tourist trip. I visited the various castles of Scotland, some whiskey distilleries, and also went to lovely restaurants. It was also the period of the Edinburgh Festival; so, I got the chance to enjoy everything, including that. All in all, it was an amazing trip and I'm glad I got to partake in it.

What was your living condition?

Because I toured about five different places, I was lodged in various hotels for the duration of my trip.

Did you try their food?

Of course! How can I go to Scotland and not eat their food? I had the famous traditional roast. Because I stayed in one of those inns where I got to have the traditional Scottish dinner; where they play pipe music, it was inevitable to eat their local food. You know, they go out hunting and kill game from the bush and they slice it up; almost something like they do with turkey roast.

Did you miss Nigeria?

Apart from being away from family, I honestly never miss home when I'm away. I'm not one of those who travel and start looking for home food or things that remind me of home. The whole idea of travelling is to be able to immerse yourself in the culture of the places that you go to and enjoy what the places have to offer; and that's what I like to do whenever I'm away visiting a country.

Was there a language barrier?

There definitely wasn't. English is the main language spoken in Scotland and I speak English, so there wasn't a language barrier. Communication was a breeze.

Did you make friends?

I always make new friends when I travel.

What country do you plan on visiting next?

Although I'm going to be in New York soon, I'm actually hoping to visit India sometime. India is a country that is rich in culture and it'd be nice to go there and experience the country for myself.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...