Frank Donga says he is not worried about being stereotyped like a great legend, Mr Bean

Frank Donga says he is not worried about being stereotyped like a great legend, Mr Bean
Frank Donga, comic-actor, says he is unperturbed about being typecast such that it will make it difficult for people to see him in other roles.

Donga, real name Kunle Idowu, described himself as an entertainer who aims to make people happy - like alter egos such as Mr Bean, Charlie Chaplin and Mr Spencer.

The actor said although he is not against exploring, he won't be losing any sleep over the fear of being a stereotyped actor.

"I'm not worried about being typecast or stereotyped. The great legends like Charlie Chaplin, Aaron Lloyd, Mr Bean, Mr Spencer. Those are characters that you can relate with very easily," he said.

"They have done other roles but those characters make us happy.

"I don't think anyone wants to be typecast intentionally but that doesn't mean you can't explore like Samuel L Jackson who has done horror, comedy, action, drama.

"So, I am not afraid of being put into that category and it doesn't stop me from exploring."

Donga, who earned an AMAA 2018 nomination for best actor in a leading role, says it is "very humbling" that his work in 'Hakkunde' is being recognised.

The actor said he met Oluseyi Amuwa, director of the movie, while presenting an Africa Magic Viewers Choice Award (AMVCA) to him.

"During the shoot of The Wedding Party 1, he reached out and said he had a script for me," he added.

Donga, who rose to fame through a web series about a naive job seeker, said he didn't envisage his career trajectory.

He said: "I didn't quite see it coming out this way. I mean, nobody wants to do something and not have a plan or a vision that it is going to grow.

"I was doing it principally to make people happy and to entertain people."

The actor stars in the recently released 'Seven and a Half Date' and upcoming flick, 'The Foreigner's God'.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...