Oprah Winfrey Explains Why She Never Got Married

Oprah Winfrey Explains Why She Never Got Married

Oprah Winfrey talked marriage and wisdom in a recent interview with Vogue. Like a fine wine, Oprah Winfrey's wisdom only ripens as she ages. The 63-year-old Mississippi native, whose name has become synonymous with a multimedia empire, opened up about a variety of topics, including weight and marriage, in a recent interview with Vogue.

The 63-year-old actress and talk show host has been with her partner Stedman Graham for more than 30 years, but has said she's never considered tying the knot with him because she believes their relationship would be over if they tried to live as a married couple.

She said: "Nobody believes it, but it's true. The only time I brought it up was when I said to Stedman, 'What would have happened if we had actually gotten married?' And the answer is: 'We wouldn't be together.' We would not have stayed together, because marriage requires a different way of being in this world."
And the 'Selma' actress added that Steadman - whom she began dating in 1986 - has a very "traditional" view of a married household, which Oprah insists she would never "fit in" with.

Speaking to Vogue magazine, she said: "His interpretation of what it means to be a husband and what it would mean for me to be a wife would have been pretty traditional, and I would not have been able to fit into that."

Meanwhile, earlier this year, Oprah admitted she has no regrets about never having children, as she doesn't believe she would have made a good parent.
The star - who did give birth to a son when she was just 14, but he died in hospital a few weeks later - said: "I didn't want babies. I wouldn't have been a good mom for babies. I don't have the patience. I have the patience for puppies, but that's a quick stage!"

Winfrey also spoke about aging and how the difference between your 40s and 60s is "the knowing, "In your 40s, you're coming into it, you're intellectualizing things, and you kind of know it and you feel it,"

she said, recalling how Maya Angelou used to tell her that your 50s are everything you've been meaning to be. "By the time you hit 60, there are just no damn apologies And certainly not at 63," Winfrey said,

Adding additional insight about a topic of continued conversation: her size.

"And the weight thing that was always such a physical, spiritual, emotional burden for me," Winfrey said. "No apologies for that either."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...