Wizkid Is Not A Treat To Me - Davido

Wizkid Is Not A Treat To Me - Davido

Davido is one artiste who sure knows how to blow his own trumpet. But, who won’t, when one has certain things going on well for oneself or when ‘the lines have fallen unto pleasant places’ as the Psalmist says. A rich father, a successful career which is barely three years old, a multi-million naira endorsement deal, sold-out concerts, a string of hits, a personal home, an enviable fleet of cars and a growing fan base – Davido boast all at the moment.

At 20, he has no doubt garnered what has taken many artistes years to achieve, that is, if God and mother-luck shines generously on them.

Ever since he drew the attention of millions of music fans to himself when he introduced himself as ‘Omo baba olowo’ in his 2011 hit song titled ‘Dami duro’, there has been no looking back for the singer, who says he is currently a part time student at Babcock University, Ilishan Remo.

“Everything is just God because I just wanted to do music, be happy and comfortable but He just turned my fortunes around and I thank Him for that,” he quips.

For some established artistes, fame and wealth can be a tad difficult to manage. But for Davido, it’s been a tough call especially since he has achieved both at a young age.

“Even though I have fame, money and other things working for me, I didn’t expect to be this big. I find it sometimes overwhelming that I am immediately recognised wherever I go and it is such a great feeling, that sometimes I feel like the president. I miss partying at the club with my friends, but at the same time I am happy because this is what I have always wanted to do,” he says.

No stranger to controversies and online scandals, Davido, admits that despite being a celebrity, he isn’t immune to general life issues.

“No doubt I have made some mistakes and I am not perfect. You know, sometimes I get overwhelmed or annoyed. I am a human being too, people have to understand that before they are quick to judge my actions,” he admits.

The Nigerian music scene has become a lot more competitive with various artistes emerging and others bowing out of the scene after a hit. Davido considers himself an authority in his own right. His reason?  “I’m not afraid of competition or the fact that some person will just appear on the scene and take the shine. After all, I did it to some people, so I expect that it is something that must happen to everyone because you can’t be shining forever. But once you are good to others, make good music, have loyal fans, that’s all that matters.”

Not one to throw in the towel so soon, the 20-year old singer appears to have his future plans all sorted out, already. “I have plans to go into oil and gas business with my elder brother next year. I want to do music for 10 years. By that time, I will be 30, and free to rest. Some people are just starting out at 30 but I am already a success and threat at 20. Fame at a young age is a plus because I still have like 10 years to ball while some people are just starting at 27 and 30.”

So, is Wizkid not a threat or music rival? To this, he says, “Not at all. The rumour is cool. But I see nobody as competition or threat. God is behind me, so I just go into the studio, do my music and everything is fine. I develop and write most of my songs in the studio.”

It is almost impossible to have a chat with Davido and not ask about how much influence his father has had on his career. After all, he says it for all who care to listen that he is a rich kid.

In an unapologetic tone, he says, “Yes my father is rich, but the truth is some people only knew who he was after I released my song, ‘Omo Baba Olowo’. I want people to know that the song was not a hit because of my father but because it was dope. I didn’t sing ‘OBO’ because of my father’s wealth – contrary to what people think.”

The singer, who developed an interest in music at age 13, also admits that he enjoys a very cordial relationship with his father, despite his busy nature.

Amidst laughter, he says, “My father and family always keep me grounded. They call me from time to time to ask about my welfare. My father actually visits all these blogs to read and see all my nonsense. Just like the typical Yoruba father, he scolds me and whenever he does that, I will say, ‘Daddy cool down, what’s going on, relax.’ Although he is also very proud of me, he is scared and happy for me at the same time.”

A few weeks back, the video for his hit song, Skelewu, was met with mixed reactions and this did not go down well with the singer. He says, “The song is big already; so whatever we do people are still going to talk anyway. I shot the video like a movie and there are three videos, so people can watch whichever one they want.

“If you don’t like the instructional video, you can watch Sesan’s, if you don’t like that one; you can watch Moe Musa’s. If people want, I will shoot one more video, it’s not easy.”

Although the lad admits that he has taken the criticisms in good faith, his countenance betrays him, so does his response, he says, “When the first video leaked they said they didn’t like it. Everyone knew that we were about to shoot, and he (Sesan), had the video. So it may not be him that leaked it. But we have since apologised to his camp and everybody.

- punchng.com

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...